Better Than PB&J

Posted by admin

August 29, 2007 | 6 Comments

My oldest son is in love with peanut butter. Madly in love in fact. I think the boy could eat a peanut butter sandwhich every day if I let him. Which I’m almost fine with. there’s just one hitch, he wants that with jelly. The occasional smear of jelly is OK, but every day that is just too much sugar and preservatives. We had to find a way to compromise.

Since then we’ve found a great combination that we both can agree on. PB&Fruit. Instead of the sticky sweet jelly I add fruit to his peanut butter sandwhiches, and he loves it. Grapes, apples, bananas, kiwi, and more. Almost anything that I can slice I can put on the peanut butter and it is a hit. It’s a great way to get some fresh fruit in his diet without complaint. And I feel better feeding it to him than the purple sugar of jelly.

Comments

6 Comments so far

1. Naomi on August 29, 2007 5:02 am

My husband is a peanut butter freak too!
    Every so often I find him scraping it out of the jar with a knife and just licking it off! (Disgusting or what?!)
    These sound yummy, so I might be able to persude him to kick his yucky habit in return for a p.b and fruit sarnie!

2. kate on August 29, 2007 12:55 pm

i WISH mine would eat peanut butter more. he won’t eat most of the typical “kid” foods at all. and it doesn’t matter if they are the healthy version or not. what kid doesn’t want french fries or a burger, i ask you? or peanut butter! crazy. frustrating. write now raisin bran is all he wants. . and corn bread.

3. oh amanda on August 29, 2007 1:06 pm

What a great idea! I’m doing this for my daughter from now on!

4. Ladybug on August 29, 2007 7:39 pm

Great idea! My son eats PB every day!

5. jen on August 30, 2007 8:58 am

Yup, that’s a great tip! We also use low sugar (not the no sugar stuff which has artificial sweetners) jam! It’s a bit more expensive, but it’s really tasty and so much healthier. :)

6. Marye on August 31, 2007 12:03 am

excellent idea! When the kids aren’t looking my personal favorite is..marshmallow fluff.

Name (required)